Blues tips (for advanced pianist)

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

Blues tips (for advanced pianist)

Postby pianist » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi! I am a classical pianist, have been playing for over 10 years. Last week I was at a concert where a guy did some blues improvisation on the piano, it seemed to be a lot of fun and I want to learn it to!
Do you have any suggestions on how to start? Just learning the scales on looking up some chords? I guess it is like that, but of you have any other tips for me, please let me know!
:)
pianist
Regular

Re: Blues tips (for advanced pianist)

Postby snakehips » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:33 pm

Hi there !

Sorry for the rather long delay in anyone answering your thread.
You may have already found the answers to your question. However, I'll assume not for the moment.

You must excuse my blunt attitude to your new-found love of blues piano.
I strongly sugest you do NOT try to find sheet music on this type of music - as :
1. I don't think it will be accurate enough
2. I think it is the wrong approach

You need to learn this music into your head first. That means immersing yourself into this music.
That means listening to nothing but blues piano, absorbing the STYLE, rather than any particular tune.
You do not need to have a song note for note. You need to be able to FEEL the music.
Feel when a chord change feels due to happen. Feel (and hear in your head) what sort of phrases will fit.
Learn some left hand boogie patterns.

As a start though, you can't go wrong watching YouTube videos by this guy - he shows close-up many boogie woogie patterns : http://www.youtube.com/user/freakyhead20

Good luck in your quest !
snakehips
Regular

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard