bass pedals

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Re: bass pedals

Postby allanlummox » Tue May 12, 2009 9:12 am

Multisounds, an envelope filter - like the qtron from electro-harmonix - puts a little "wah " on each note played. It's used by lots of funk bassists, and gives the bass an articulated feel.

Frankly, and I'm not a bassist, it's the first effect I thought of when I saw the title of this thread.

The cat in the picture is Bootsy Collins. If you don't know him, you should probably just go get some Parliament Funkadelic and some Bootsy's Rubber Band, and prepare to be transformed.

I'd start with "Mothership Connection" and "Maggot Brain". The title track of Maggot Brain should show you how all this relates to blues, at the very least. And Mothership will warn you about unfunkativity, a dangerous state.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby BobHolland » Tue May 12, 2009 11:00 am

I'm not into effects pedals for bass. I remember the old days, we wanted clean sounding bass but the amps were not that good so we just lived with a less than perfect bass sound. Now, good clean sounding bass amps & everybody wants to dirty up the sound. The only pedal I use for bass is not really an effects pedal but a preamp pedal. Sadowsky preamp in a foot pedal. Vol., Treble, & Bass. XLR out, Tuner out, Mute Button. 9 volt or wall wart. Really fattens & kicks up the sound of any bass. Good for DI also.
BOB :wha:
BobHolland
Regular

Postby Ed Boyd » Tue May 12, 2009 12:42 pm

multisounds wrote:
That is really cool for funk but I thought this was a blues forum.

Hi Ed and Allan,

WHAT?? You think us bass players are a bunch of simpletons??? Let me tell you a true story. There was a band who went on tour here in Australia without a bass player (because they couldn't find the right bass player in time) with just guitar, drums, flute, vocals and xalaphone (however you spell it)-it was a jazz/blues ensemble. They played at different towns almost once a week for 3 months. And at the end of it, the critics slammed them hard and basically said "get a bass player". However, to be fair, they said the sound they had was "adequate", but not "aesthetically fulfilling".

So yes, this is a blues forum, but we should cover all genres otherwise it'll become too one dimentional. And so yes, bass players get alot of flack and seen as "non-important" or just "taggers" who make money by going through the motions. But don't tour without a bass player or you'll be totally up shizzz creek! :D

cheers
multi

I played without a bass player for about 5 or 6 years. There was a 3 or 4 tunes where the songs sort of suffered, so I started taking my Fender P-bass on gigs. I just couldn't do the bass solo on "All Right Now" on the keys. Then the right bassist came a long who had really good vocals. He was a real good bassist. Even if he wasn't, great vocals make up for a lot of sins.

It worked out pretty good not having a bass player. We made more money. I like playing with a bass player a lot better cause I can use my left hand to get something to drink and scratch anything that itches. It also freed up my playing a lot and allowed to me solo more..... I don't know if that was a good thing or not. :shock:

As far as the multi genre thing I was just kidding.
Ed Boyd
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Tue May 12, 2009 1:56 pm

multisounds wrote:But however, would you agree that some of these pedals could give you that echoee sound for greater musical pleasure when using an effect??

Always depends on what you're doing and if you know how to use it to good effect.

Forgot about the envelope filter, had one of those, too. Didn't use it with the band because we weren't funky, but it was a lot of fun (and /I/ was (am) funky!). Of course, some of my favorite blues is stuff like Luther, Seals or Freddie's Burglar, which is pretty damned funky.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Tue May 12, 2009 2:00 pm

allanlummox wrote:The title track of Maggot Brain should show you how all this relates to blues, at the very least.

"Play it like yo mama just died!"

Love that album!
CashWiley
Regular

Postby Ed Boyd » Tue May 12, 2009 2:18 pm

I used to play a Hohner D6 Clavinet through a envelope filter...... that was I long time ago. I kind of wish I still had that keyboard. The TX-7 sounded OK but sometimes the real deal is just better.
Ed Boyd
Regular

Postby multisounds » Wed May 13, 2009 8:59 am

Hi Allan and Ed,

First of all thx for the funk insight into envelope filter and I've always wondered how these bass sounds were so "full" and "sustaining".

As for a band with a non-bass player-you're playing with fire!!! :D All I can say is becareful. My recommendation is that if you can split the keyboard so that your left hand is doing bass sounds it might be ok-e.g, The Doors-Ray Manzerik. But I can tell you Ed, I've done this and you're constantly busy without a rest and it really suks!!! You just will not get that "driving" bass sound that a stringed instrument can make. So, why not just let the bass player do his/her part so that like you said, you have more options to harmonise with your left hand.

Ladies and Gentelman!!! No band in the world has ever reached the stars without a bass player-period! :P

cheers
multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby MakaInOz » Thu May 14, 2009 2:55 am

My eldest has a Boss GT-6B. It provides 35 different effects, from pro-quality chorus, delay and reverb, to octave, defretter, synth-bass, a newly developed Auto Slap, and numerous other effects.

He runs both the upright and his J Bass through it. His little brother has been known to 'borrow' it to run his Strat through it, and occassionally it has had a harp mic plugged in for me to try out how effects work for harp. The manual is very thick (its an 8 meg pdf) and it would take a long time to be expert on all the options.

But its good fun!
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Thu May 14, 2009 3:47 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot I used to occasionally run my bass through my GT-6. No idea how to modify the stupid thing, though, you need a masters degree from Boss.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:49 pm

Old thread. Pedals I use & I am an old guy. EBS MultiComp Compressor (smooths out the bass signal), Boss TU3 pedal tuner, inline works as a mute pedal also. 8)
BobHolland
Regular

Previous

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom