Linda's Place on the southside.

What about the blues club(s) in your area? Any worth visiting? Blues festivals or events?

Linda's Place on the southside.

Postby LesFromChicago » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Ironically, a dude visiting Chicago from his home in France introduced me to a very nice music venue which had previously been unknown to me, A blues-loving Chicago native. It is Linda's Lounge, aka Linda's Place, on the southside. I had a wonderful time there - I had planned to arrive at 930 and leave by 1030 or 11 since I had to rise early the next day, but it was so much fun I stayed until after midnight.
The venue is a neighborhood bar in a predominantly Black area, and the clientele (and most of the musicians) seemed to be from middle-age to elderly, so the music was fit to their tastes.
The middle-age to elderly Black Americans, they have a love and respect for the blues, but they do not want to hear set after set of nothing but blues like the White folks do;
They want to hear some blues, but mostly soul, funk, and like that with a little blues mixed in - a little Albert King/Muddy Waters and a lot of Tyrone Davis/Benny Lattimore. The music followed that pattern; it was very engaging even for me, one who would not at all mind hearing nothing but blues.
One of the singers, named Denise, she and the band did one number that even sounded like jazz to me. The band was Fantastic L-Roy and his Bulltproof Band..
The most prominent characterisitic of the venue is the perception of sincere friendliness, welcome, and relaxation.
LesFromChicago
Regular

Re: Linda's Place on the southside.

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:15 am

That is very cool, Les.
I'll have to follow up on that.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Return to HomeTown Blues