Resonator guitar

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Resonator guitar

Postby Moobox » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:19 am

SO maybe someone can tell me a bit here plse. I want to get on of these but I dont want to invest too much cash you know, I'm not that serious a player but want to check out playing one. So been scouting around and spotted a couple which interest me. Fender FR-50, Rogue spider and triolian biscuit cone. And then with pickups there are the Johnson Swamp Stomper and Oscar Schmidt OR6CE. I'm a bit ignorant here so how does the whole cone thing fit into the picture if you have a humbucker or a p90 neckside? Doesnt that negate the whole idea of the resonator? I must say that at this stage I am looking at the Rogues for price as they ar plenty less $.

So has anyone any opinions or experience with these? Also what is the difference between the biscuit and spider thing soundwise? Hey, push me in a direction of sorts please!
Cheers - Eddie
Moobox
Regular

Re: Resonator guitar

Postby gaucho » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:02 am

I had a Fender and I'd say skip it. Several members here have the Rogues and say good things. I now have a Republic resolian and tricone and a Beard/GT spider and would recommend any of them. They are a good bit more expensive though.
gaucho
Regular

Postby Neal » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:07 am

Hi Eddie. You don't want to spend a lot, and it sounds like a lot may be over 2 bills. Get the Rogue, unless the stuff below interests you.

A few things, a lot of the cheap ones have 1-11/16" nut width, that's a bit thin, but if you're a strummer just wanting a taste of reso, no big deal. Most bottleneck players want a wider fretboard, 1-3/4" being the very minimum, but I like wider. If you do fingerpick, you'll want to make sure of the neck width and string spacing, if that is a concern at this point for you.

Spider cones are Dobro, biscuit cones are National, for the most part. Spider cones are like this 'v' with a spider bridge coming out to greet the edges, an inverted cone.

Biscuit cone is like this ^ with the biscuit sitting at the point. Noticeable sound difference between them, but for your situation, no big deal. Spider cone sounds nasal, think country music. Most blues guys like a biscuit, but there is certainly no hard and fast rule.

As to the humbucker, it sort of negates it amplified, but what the heck. I use a humbucker on my National, and like it, it still sounds like a National to me. Nothing's pure.

Here's a thread here on the Rogue. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8141

If you can push up the bucks a few, check out the Republic. You can do a search for those.
Neal
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:11 am

I've got the Rogue Spider and the Rogue Classic Brass biscuit and like 'em both. They're different, both nice. I've also got an old Johnson. (Tricone)
ricochet
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:26 am

Also check out the Rondo site for their SX resonator. Going at $169 and reports on them are pretty positive. There's a thread further down here called 'SX Resonator Guitar' featuring one being played. Have a look at that too.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Turn and walk away now while you still can. No, run! It never stops at just one cheap guitar. Next you want a better one, then a tricone, then you want to cut up everything you see and turn it into a slide, then lap steels and then.... It's a disease that has no known cure but you don't have to go this way, you can still choose. For the sake of your family and friends, (they'll hate it) forget about it. For most of the people here, it's too late.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby Moobox » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:18 pm

Too late! Ordered and when it gets here you guys are gonna have to teach me stuff hey. Anyway, all I'm doing is slide on my acoustics and electrics anyway. Not good mind you but hey, a gas!
Moobox
Regular

Postby oldmanblue535 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:44 pm

dont say you were not warned .o.m.b.
oldmanblue535
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi Moobox. My name's Ric and I'm a GASoholic. :D
ricbleu
Regular

Postby straightblues » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:11 pm

I have a Johnson Style O. It sounds and plays very good. I replaced the stock bisucuit and resonator with ones from National. It was a big sound improvement.
straightblues
Regular

Postby Old Stella » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:37 pm

I had to take a GAS-X pill just from reading this thread.
Old Stella
Regular

Postby The Breeze » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:29 pm

I bought a Dobro Hound Dog Roundneck (made in China). Wood bodied, spider cone. Excellent starter reso, and all rounder.
http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dobro-Hound-Dog-Round-Neck-Dobroreg-Guitar?sku=514374
The Breeze
Regular

Postby Moobox » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:25 am

Now I have become aware of a Cort resonator CR-10RN which is available locally. I cant find anything about the guitar except a listing on Cort 2010 price list. So I dont know if anyone has heard of it, I didnt even know Cort made one. I have a cheap Cort SFX6 something or the other acoustic and for the money it's quite good I reckon.
Moobox
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:08 am

What about one of these. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 230583.htm
It would sure look good up there in front of everybody!
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Moobox » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:35 am

OK so I've bought the Cort resonator CR-10RN I mentioned above and I've bought blind. First reso and pretty darned cheap so I didnt mind going that way too much. Only thing is I want to amplify the thing. Looks like a spider bridge to me (from one pic I could find on the webs). Looks like noone knows anything about this guitar or een that it's available so I'll slap down some pics when it arrives. Ed
Moobox
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar