Hot Rod Steel Wood Body Review

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Hot Rod Steel Wood Body Review

Postby 29er » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:49 pm

After spending several days with my new Hot Rod I'm ready to offer some thoughts. Bottom line, this is a very nice guitar! As Lenny promised, it arrived with a great setup. The nut is perfectly cut, the fret ends are nice & smooth and the action is just right for playing the slide & finger style combination common with open tuning. It arrived with .013-.056 gauge strings (I think) and it sounded and played great out of the box. Since I'm used to the Martin bluegrass reso string (.017-.056) I put a set of these on the guitar after several days playing on the original set. As expected, the guitar got a bit louder with the thicker strings and the action got a bit stiffer, but the neck has stayed as straight as it was with the lighter gauge set. A good sign, IMO!

The workmanship looks really good. I haven't taken the cover off and peaked inside yet, but looking through the F holes it looks like the kerfing work is good and the neck/body joint is solid. The tuners are OK, not butter smooth but not bad at all. Time well tell how they hold up but they are at least as good as any tuner you'll find on guitars in this price range. The satin finish looks good in a low rent kind of way, it's a quality paint job but I have a feeling it will look really cool as it ages & gets knocked around a bit. I'm actually looking forward to watching the satin finish age a bit. The color is described as a green/gold combo and based on the pics on Lenny's site, I was not sure if I'd like the color. My guitar looks (to me) almost like a gun metal blue color with some very subtle gold flake mixed in. Not sure if I can capture this in a photo but I'll try when I can find time to take some pics!

The sound? I've owned a National Radiotone Bendaway and this guitar gets pretty close to that tone. It's nice & mellow when compared to a metal guitar but it still has plenty of bark when you dig in. It's also very balanced from low to high frequencies. Being a plywood body, I'm not sure how much it will settle in as it ages but I have to think it will improve a little bit.

A bit long winded, but that's the story. I'm a happy guy :D I will post up some pics if I ever have a spare hour to take some, but that would be time taken away from playing the guitar!
29er
Regular

Re: Hot Rod Steel Wood Body Review

Postby kiwiblues » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:25 pm

Great review. Sounds like a good buy. Got any pics?
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby SouthernSounds » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:28 pm

Thanks for your impressions and comments, 29er. I'll stay alert to see your photos...

Regards, B.
SouthernSounds
Regular

Postby 29er » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:33 am

I tried to post some pics I took a few hours ago with no luck. Forgive my inept computer skills. I tried to insert a link to a facebook album by clicking on the image box above w/o success. I'll try to get my IT dept (my wife) to help me out.
29er
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:23 pm

If you get to the Facebook image, right click, copy image location, paste it here with [img] tags around it.

Good to hear a solid review of Lenny's new product. Can't wait to see some pics of it.

I'm not sure what kind of finish it has, but if it's satin poly, it probably won't age any time soon. I have an Epiphone wood body resonator and it's finished in satin poly. The only thing that has changed on the finish is that the neck has gotten smoother. It's been about five years or so with no sign of aging.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:03 am

Lefty, is that the spider bridge Epiphone Dobro that you've got? If so, I played one in our local guitar shop and really liked it.

29er, sounds like you are in love again. Congratulations. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby k1w1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:54 am

Thanks 29er, that really helps, good review, can't wait to see pics. Sounds like this could be a serious contender. Now I have another choice, hoping to get a single after christmas and this is a definite maybe.
k1w1
Regular

Postby 29er » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:00 am

Guys, I've tried multiple times to post the pics, even had my tech savy better half try it with no luck. I've posted pics before using the same method here (Img tags around the image location) on other sites. I even put those pics on another site and tried with no success.

Feeling a little like a dunce here :D
29er
Regular

Postby gaucho » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:11 am

A Photobucket account is usually foolproof. Free and easy...
gaucho
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:17 pm

ricbleu wrote:Lefty, is that the spider bridge Epiphone Dobro that you've got? If so, I played one in our local guitar shop and really liked it.

It's the single cone, Epiphone Biscuit. I've since modded it with a Tele neck pickup mounted in the coverplate.

29er wrote:Guys, I've tried multiple times to post the pics, even had my tech savy better half try it with no luck. I've posted pics before using the same method here (Img tags around the image location) on other sites. I even put those pics on another site and tried with no success.

Feeling a little like a dunce here :D

Go to Photobucket.com, create an account, choose the pictures from your computer and upload them to the site. Then come here and post the [img] tags here. Photobucket will create the [img] tags for you and you can click on them and they automatically copy.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby 29er » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:03 am

OK, here are the pics. Nothing spectacular but it shows the finish color. As I mentioned, the green/gold burst is very subtle. It didn't really show up until the guitar was outdoors in natural light.

Oh, and if you haven't been to Lenny's site today you should. Seems that he's got another color option of this guitar. I kinda wish I'd have waited a week or so :shock:

29er
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:21 am

Looks really good! I dig the color.

I wonder how much Lenny would charge to set one up left handed...
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Disciple » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:43 am

I think this might be my next choice. Outstanding looking guitar and well priced.

I want a single cone biscuit maybe a 14 fret.

Either this or a Republic Highway 61 full scale. I wonder if Frank would do a flat black version.
Disciple
Regular

Postby 29er » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:55 am

Disciple wrote:I want a single cone biscuit maybe a 14 fret.

I wonder if Lenny would consider a Hot Rod wooden Tricone? I'd be all over that one.
29er
Regular

Postby VintageNats » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi Guys, Glad you like the wood body, I was real happy to get these. I'd love to be able to get a wood tricone but I haven't seen one built yet by any overseas builders. IT's have to be built very well to deal with the complexity of the tricone design. The design and build of the beauty by NRP is pretty advanced, I don't see any of the import builders having the CNC capabilities that went into theirs. Ya never know though. Lefty, it's $25 to swap to a left handed. Since I make a new saddle on all my HOT ROD's, only the new nut would be a difference. No biggie. Thanks for the kind words, I also now have some in HOT CHILI RED.

Cheers, Len
VintageNats
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar